Department of Emergency Medicine (DEM) Overview:
The Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham is dedicated to providing the highest quality emergency medical care to patients, to participate in the education of health professionals, and to promote the development of the specialty of emergency medicine and related disciplines through excellence in patient care, teaching, and research.
The Department of Emergency Medicine maintains an active NIH-funded clinical research program focused on acute resuscitation and systems of emergency care delivery. Our educational programs are designed to provide a challenging, hands-on patient care experience in both UAB Hospital and UAB Highlands emergency departments. With three different emergency departments, we are equipped to provide patients with a complete range of primary and specialty care services.
The Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Alabama (UAB) School of Medicine seeks an MD/ DO for a faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor, non-tenure earning.
- Full-time (1.00 FTE) opportunity with flexible scheduling and call schedule.
- Opportunity to work alongside and in collaboration with some of the most respected and recognized Emergency Medicine physicians in the country.
- Participate in academic efforts and teaching opportunities.
- Participate in research efforts.
- Full APP; clinical and non-clinical support team
- Competitive compensation package
- Full Health, retirement, and PTO benefits
- UAB is an approved Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer
- Board certified / Board eligible in Emergency Medicine
- Prior completion of Emergency Medicine residency program
- Eligible for medical licensure in the state of Alabama
- 1.00 FTE model (shifts per month will vary by location)
- Clinical vs. non-clinical activities will be classified into a “CARTS” model.
- Targeted TCC model (90% of target is fixed clinical compensation and 10% for variable or non-clinical compensation.
- Total compensation is made up of the following factors:
- Base Salary
- Administrative supplements
- Shift differential
- Overtime/coverage above contracted amount
- Production (WRVU, Quality and academic excellence)
- Discretionary bonus model
Research and Academic Opportunities:
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is a research university and academic health center that discovers, teaches, and applies knowledge for the intellectual, cultural, social, and economic benefit of Birmingham, the state, and beyond. UAB is internationally renowned for its intensely collaborative culture that has — for more than five decades — produced breakthroughs in education, health care, research, and service. UAB was ranked #1 in the United States, and in the top 10 worldwide, in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2018 Young University Rankings.
UAB Medicine is the third largest public academic medical center in the country, with more than 1,900 beds and almost 18,000 employees. We are the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the state of Alabama. UAB Hospital is the centerpiece of the UAB Health System and is the teaching hospital for the UAB School of Medicine. Situated among major research centers and clinics, UAB Hospital provides patients with a complete range of primary and specialty care services, as well as the most up-to-date treatments and innovations in health care.
Living in Birmingham, Alabama:
Located in the heart of the Southeast, Birmingham is a short drive from Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, New Orleans, Memphis, and Gulf Coast beaches. Some of the most beautiful suburbs in the United States surround the city. With its picturesque surroundings, Birmingham has been recognized as an “All American City”, one of the top ten American cities to live and work, and one of the top ten entrepreneurial and job growth hot spots in America. The combination of pleasant weather, geography, diverse culture, activities, and lifestyle make this city a wonderful place to live, raise a family, and practice medicine.
Reach out to Kareen Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a cover letter and copy of your CV.