Department Vice Chair of Emergency Medicine
Clinical Affairs in the Department of Emergency Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine-Gainesville
The Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Florida College of Medicine (UFCOM) is seeking a dynamic and highly motivated clinical leader to serve as the Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs. This individual will also have high visibility with the leadership of the healthcare system. The UF Department of Emergency Medicine is affiliated with UF Health Shands Hospital, a 1,162-bed teaching hospital with a Level 1 trauma center and burn center and is the major referral center for north central Florida.
The successful candidate will hold a University of Florida appointment at the rank of Associate/Full Professor and will join the current team of nine (9) full-time Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) faculty and 45 general EM faculty to support the expansion of clinical services in the community.
As a department leader of Emergency Medicine, the Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs will have a strong commitment to continuing to advance the field of emergency medicine, improve patient care, and provide the academic environment for innovative research. The successful candidate will provide strategic, innovative, and operational leadership, and will have responsibility and accountability for the clinical and academic performance of all sections within the department.
Where You’ll Work:
- The UF Health Shands Emergency Department is a tertiary care center that serves patients from four states across the southeastern United States and has EMS medical direction in 13 Florida counties.
- UF Health adult emergency department has the second highest patient acuity in the country.
- Pediatric Emergency Care is provided at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, the No. 1 rated children’s hospital in Florida and one of the Top 5 in the SE U.S., according to U.S. News & World Report. The hospital is also one of three Level 3 NICUs in the state and provides complex cardiac, pulmonary, and transplant care.
- The department also leads two (2) freestanding emergency departments, allowing the team to extend a high level of emergency care throughout the community.
- Patient Caseload: Annual department census across all sites is approximately 135,000 with approximately 33,000 admissions per year.
- This Level 1 Trauma Center, Comprehensive Stroke Center, ABA Verified Burn Center, and Accredited Chest Pain Center provides the highest level of care to a diverse patient population.
- Individual faculty engage in federally funded research studies and hold leadership positions within the UFCOM.
- Clinical and basic science research cover a diverse portfolio of topics, including critical care and resuscitative medicine; clinical biomarkers; neurological emergencies; healthcare disparities; patient safety; medical education; simulation, and global health.
- Training: Residents, fellows, and students are specialty trained across all clinical sites.
- Extremely competitive salary and full range of UF state benefits, including Sovereign immunity-type medical malpractice; health; life and disability insurance; paid sick leave; and a generous retirement package.
The University of Florida, the nation’s fifth-ranked public university, is located in charming Gainesville and is home to UF Health – a distinguished destination for care. Enjoy the benefits of small-town living within a short drive to either coast or to Orlando. Gainesville is a beautifully diverse and vibrant college town, centrally located in north Florida. Residents are close to major airports, family entertainment, and some of the best beaches in the world. Home of the “Gator Nation”, award-winning college sports, and year-round outdoor activities, Gainesville has repeatedly been voted as one of the Best Places to Live in the U.S.
- Terminal Degree Required: MD or DO, MD /Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
- Board Certification or Eligibility in Emergency Medicine and/or Pediatric Emergency Medicine with ongoing clinical activity. All physicians must be ABEM/ABOEM Board Certified/Board-Eligible.
- Associate Professor or an equivalent combination of Assistant Professor and clinical leadership experience.
- Prefer 8+ years’ experience in operations leadership, experience leading EM in a complex multihospital system, experience in an academic setting, able to join as an associate at minimum.
- Strong direct management skills and experience managing emergency medicine faculty within a complex healthcare system.
- Possess a demonstrated commitment to innovation and quality improvement pursuits.
- Eligible for unrestricted medical licensure in Florida State prior to the start of appointment. A combination of education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
Applicants should apply online via the career website: https://www.kbic.com/job/vice-chair-of-clinical-affairs-emergency-medicine-eb-6728516504 Expressions of interest, including a CV, must be submitted to Eric Dickerson: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Director & Sr. Practice Leader
Kaye/Bassman International Corp.
Phone: (972) 265-5245 – Direct
Compensation + Benefits:
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to skill, knowledge, experience, education, and credentials. The University of Florida offers competitive pay and a full benefits package that includes 401(k), Health, Dental and Vision insurance, paid vacation, sick, and holidays.
The University of Florida has partnered with Kaye/Bassman to provide executive search services for the Department Emergency Medicine. The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information, and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.